Make, Jane, make!: A Summer Dress in the Winter (and What Signing a Card Means to a 3 Year Old)

Printfriendly

Small Share

Friday, December 2, 2011

A Summer Dress in the Winter (and What Signing a Card Means to a 3 Year Old)

I've said it before and I'll say it again - it's much easier to sew for girls. There's just so much more out there and boys really don't appreciate clothing all that much... except my eldest, who can't go by a mirror without checking himself out [eye roll].

I decided on a summer dress for our little friend with a winter birthday, because it didn't seem fair that she was always getting the corduroy/denim/wool gifts and a summer baby gets her choice of bright and cheerful fabrics.



This dress is from a great pattern by New Look (6821). It has a variety of sizes and styles all in one package, making it really versatile. Also it was on sale at Fabricland and I think I picked it up for $1 or $2.

I didn't mix and match the tops and bottoms for my project because I liked the one shown just fine. It had just the right combination of clean lines on the bodice and frilliness on the tired skirt.

The lady at Fabricland and I debated over the pastel-y Michael Miller fabric that I eventually used and a bolder, more graphic print but figured that a little girl would be more into pastel pink. Also there wasn't enough yardage left of that fabric, so there you go.

Anyway, I was really happy with how the dress came out and left my son to take it downstairs to daddy for gift-bagging and birthday card signing. However, as I was bringing the baby and toddler down the stairs, I heard my hubby exclaim to my eldest, "No! Not on the dress!"

I felt my heart sink as we discovered that my son, who has trouble writing his name with pencil and paper, managed (in the 2 minutes he had to himself) to sign his name in ballpoint pen on the dress... After some tears and consternation, an internet search revealed our saviour to be rubbing alcohol and a Q-tip.

Needless to say, my weepy and repentant son had to go to the party gift-less while I performed some emergency spot treatment on the dress... lessons were learned all around :P

No comments:

Post a Comment