Make, Jane, make!: Trying to like Spaghetti Squash... Gratin

Printfriendly

Small Share

Monday, November 7, 2011

Trying to like Spaghetti Squash... Gratin

I have nothing against squash. In fact, I really enjoy most other kinds of squash. But try as I might, I really just don't like spaghetti squash.


I guess I have expectations of my squash having a certain texture and taste and it kind of turns me off when I bite into those strands of squash and find them more like a raw pumpkin than a cooked squash.

That being said, we've received spaghetti squash two weeks in a row in our CSA box and it needs to be used. So for the first squash I thought I'd try it as a gratin.

Preparing spaghetti squash is the same as roasting any other squash - cut, remove seeds and roast until tender.


The magic part of this squash is that the flesh magically cooks up into long "spaghetti"-like strands.


I scooped out my squash and added some seasonings, ricotta and parmesan.


Scooped the mixture into ramekins and topped with cheddar for the kids...


... and an egg for the adults.


Everyone enjoyed the dish but I'm still not sold on this veggie. Still have one more squash to go, so maybe I can still find a unique place for this vegetable in my cooking books?

No comments:

Post a Comment